1. The Detroit News posted an article talking about Governor Granholm proposing to lower speed limits on Michigan freeways due to high gas prices. This is dumb.
2. I remember in the past 10 years I have seen gas prices go from $.99 for MIDGRADE to $4.17 for REGULAR as of today. If driving slower to save gas was such an issue why did no brainiacs think about this when gas hit $2 then $3 a gallon. The reason is cause we own a car to be able to get from place to place faster not slower.
3. In a previous post of mine about speed limits I talked about how we need to get rid of them so people can get from place to place faster.
4. Let’s leave it up to the people to decide how slow or fast they want to drive, not tell them how fast. Get rid of the speed limits and you know what, if you want to do 55mph than stay in the far right lane. If you want to do 100mph stay in the left.
5. If its gas prices the government is worried about then you need to start promoting people driving less or not at all. Hello 4 day work week.
6. I appreciate that Governor Jenny wants to save us money but if anything she is taking money out of our pocket. Now with traffic moving slower that’s going to be more time idling at stop lights because now the two lights you normally have to sit through at an intersection will turn into three because everybody getting to that light has to take more time to get there.
7. Gas prices are going to continue going up, there is no doubt about that. If its not us consuming the oil its Brazil, Russia, or India. They want to be like us and we need to be more like how they were. Riding mopeds to work and jamming into a train.
8. Here is a good way to save the citizens gas money, how about public transportation? The Detroit Tri-County area has probably the worst public transportation system for any major city. There are no light rails or trains that connect the suburbs to the city. If there was one I’m sure, no wait, positive that people would adapt and get on that train and ride it to work. Who wouldn’t want to do that. Now you don’t have to pay attention to the road driving in rush hour in the morning. You could have your cup of coffee and read the newspaper in the 15-20 minutes it would probably take. Better yet, how about a quick cat nap.
9. What about the car companies. You know the Big 3 or what use to be the Big 3. Im not going to start about how poorly they have planned with the trucks and not building cars. All that needs to be done is the car manufacturers need to change the gearing in their cars. Its that easy. Most American made cars have higher gears which allow for quicker starts but lower top end speeds. Cars manufactured in Germany and throughout Europe come with lower gear ratios which allow for higher speeds while keeping RPM’s down. The RPM’s is what burns the gas not the speed. The first American car company to market a car built for highway driving is going to get a winner.
10. Its one more liberty that “The Man” will be taking from us telling us what to do instead of letting the people decide. What’s funny about this is that I obey speed limits. Most of my friends hate letting me drive because I never go faster than the posted limit. Its not that I’m not capable of handling a car at 100mph, its just that I don’t want to deal with “The Man” and then have my insurance go up.